Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Friday, May 27, 2016

Coming Up...

My first year of school on the Africa Mercy is completed! Today is the first day of summer for the students!  After several required teacher work days (in which we do all the normal end of year school stuff and secure the Academy for sail) and a few last days traveling in Madagascar, I head home! First to Houston (arriving on June 7) and later to Wisconsin (at the end of June).

My top priority while I'm home is spending time with friends and family. So if you're in Houston, let's make plans! After that, I'm hoping to rest, take my dog to the dog park, eat all my favorite foods, drive a car again...

Speaking of cars, I sold mine before I left Africa, which seemed like a great idea at the time (and still is, except for the fact I will be car-less while in Houston). So, Houston friends, do you have, or know anyone who has, a car I could borrow for part or all of the time I will be home (June 7-18)? Maybe you're going out of town and you need someone to drop you off at the airport?

While I am super excited for a break and time to spend back in the States, I am also sad about leaving Madagascar.  When I return to the ship at the end of July, it won't be in the same place anymore. Right now, Mercy Ships and Madagascar are synonymous to me, but that is about to change...


About Benin

When school begins in August, we will be en route to Benin, West Africa. Benin is a French speaking country of about 9 million people. It borders Nigeria, Burkina Faso, Togo, and Niger. The ship will dock in the country's largest city - Cotonou, whose population is about 3-4 times the size of our current port city.  I expect life in Cotonou will be more "urban" and less "tropical island." Also, the weather is supposedly hotter (how can that be?).




I can't wait to see many of you soon! Happy summer!



1 comment:

  1. Wendy, congrats on your first year! Hope to see you back in the 'hood.

    ReplyDelete