Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Packing!

The time has come to tackle the challenge of packing.

Thanks to some lovely Mercy Shippers who read my blog and emailed me; I have some insight into what to pack and how much.  And with their advice in mind, I did a packing dry run through (yes, I know, I still have 5 weeks, but I'm a teacher: I like to plan ahead and be organized!).  So, without further ado, here's what I am taking to Africa:


4 pairs of pants
3 skirts
4 dresses
6 t-shirts
6 nice shirts
3 pairs of knee length shorts
2 pairs of capris
4 dresses
4 cardigan sweaters
1 fleece jacket
1 rain coat
1 hat
6 pairs of footwear
+ Socks, underwear, swimsuit, etc


This packing list is a huge accomplishment for me. I look at this picture and think, "I like all these clothes and I am excited to wear them." Which is good since I will wearing them over and over.

Something about pulling all my clothes out of the closet and choosing what to bring (and what I can't bring) was a catalyst for the 3rd stage in my emotional state. To recap:

Stage 1 (Jan-Feb) - 100% Excitement
Stage 2 (March)  - 50% Excitement + 50% Bittersweet Goodbyes
Stage 3 (April-May) - 110% Freaking Out

Freaking out = intense feelings of nervous energy, fear of the unknown, and overwhelmed-ness, Luckily, this season of standardized testing at school is also intense and busy and and it keeps me fairly distracted.  However, I am slightly worried about showing up at Onboarding training 6 days after the end of the school year as a messy heap of stress and turmoil.  I wish I had more time to process the transition before I arrive at the IOC (International Operation Center in Lindale, TX). But I am very grateful for the 5 weeks I will have before leaving the continent and look forward to some quality alone time with God during those weeks.

Here's my itinerary for the summer:
June 5: Leave Houston
June 6: Training begins in Lindale, TX
July 15: Fly from Dallas, TX to London to Johannesburg to Durban
July 17: Arrive in Durban, South Africa
July 17-29: 2 Weeks of a Field Practicum here 
July 29: Board the ship!

8 comments:

  1. Next step: see how it all fits in your bag, and how much room you have to spare! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Wendy! I had a hard time just packing for our 2-week trip to Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youdidagreatjobpacking. wow. thisisharderthatFacebookingonmyphone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. typingthisonmyphoneisharderthandoingFacebook. greatjobpacking... isthat4 dressesor8 dresses...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, I'm going to OB too and seeing this post (via the Mercy Ships blog links page) made me so excited and full of butterflies! I may have to borrow your packing list. :) I hope the rest of your prep goes well!

    ReplyDelete