Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Friday, February 6, 2015

Welcome to My Blog!

Welcome to the first post of my first blog. As many of you know, the catalyst for this blog is my upcoming service with Mercy Ships, the world's largest non-government hospital ship. The ship houses approximately 400 volunteers (doctors, nurses, engineers, writers, project managers, etc) who enable the organization to provide free medical care to the forgotten poor. The ship has many of the things you would expect to find in any small town...a bank, a school, a hair salon, even a Starbucks! At any given time, there are 50-60 kids living on the ship. I will be teaching math to all the students in grades 6-12.

I was accepted to be the math teacher on Mercy Ships about 3 weeks ago in mid January. Which means in approximately 5 months I will sell my house, car, and most of my stuff to go live on a ship on the coast of Madagascar. This is a daunting adventure and I really want to share it with you.  In following blog posts I will address some of the following: Why Mercy Ships? Why now? Will you get seasick? What will you pack? And many other riveting questions. Stayed tuned as the preparations begin!


1 comment:

  1. I think you should address the riveting "Will you get seasick?" question first...Although, I have a feeling I already know the answer, lol!

    ReplyDelete