Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Will I Get Seasick?

The simple answer is no. Even though I am prone to seasickness (as my family knows!), the ship will be docked for the majority of the time.  Crew members say that you can rarely tell that you are on a ship while it is docked, which is good news for me.  Since the ship is in port, crew members can and do get off the ship often, which means I will get to experience a little bit of life in Madagascar even though I will be working and living on the ship.

More specifically, when I join the ship this summer, it will still be in South Africa for its annual maintenance. Sometime in August we will sail from Durban, South Africa to Toamasina, Madagascar. The ship's field service in Madagascar will last approximately 10 months before we set sail again, back to South Africa, and then on to the next country. So there will be a few short opportunities for seasickness. I am just glad they will be few and far between!

No comments:

Post a Comment