Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Why Mercy Ships? Why Now?

Every 7 years I try to take a "Sabbatical Year." I quit my job in order to rest, to volunteer, to travel, to seek God's direction for my life...to do things I might not have time for while working full-time. During my last Sabbatical I wrote my Master's thesis, participated in Hurricane Ike clean-up, mentored students, and worked part-time tutoring.  I think my last sabbatical was instrumental in preventing burn-out and has allowed me to stay working in high-need public schools.

I first heard about Mercy Ships back in college from some visiting authors who had met on the Anastasis, the very first Mercy Ship. I was intrigued by the organization's mission, but didn't think much about it since I was not going into the medical field. Fast forward to the present; I have been exploring ideas for how to spend my upcoming Sabbatical Year. I was hoping to find a place where I could live in community, use my gifts as a math teacher to serve others, and have some new experiences. I read everything I could get my hands on about Mercy Ships and their mission still resonated with me, specifically their desire to follow the model of Jesus in caring for the poor.

So after thinking and praying about it for over a year, I finally applied last October. I had a couple ideas for Plan B if I didn't get accepted to Mercy Ships (live on a farm in the Appalachians, teach overseas with WorldTeach), but nothing I felt as strongly about as Mercy Ships.  So I was absolutely elated when I got the call in January offering me the position of math teacher on the ship.

Leaving Sharpstown High School (my current job) will be extremely hard, because I love it there so much. But I believe that this change is the right thing for me at this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment