Mercy Ships

Mercy Ships
The largest NGO hospital ship in the world providing free medical care to the forgotten poor

Friday, February 20, 2015

Got Book Recommendations?

Hello Friends,
I'm making a compilation of books I want to read, so that I can load up my Kindle. I'm not sure what my access to books will be like in Madagascar and I'm not sure if the wi-fi on the ship will allow me to download books (I've heard it is very slow).  So I'm playing it safe and taking lots with me! So if you've read a great book lately, send me the title! I like all kinds of fiction, especially historical fiction as well as non-fiction.

Here's a couple of books I would recommend if you looking for a good book to read:

  • Maya's Notebook by Isabel Allende
  • Between Love and Honor by Alexandra Lapierre
  • Where The Pavement Ends by Erica Warmbrunn
  • Iron & Silk and True Notebooks, both by Mark Salzman
  • Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Wendy,
    I haven't read this book yet, but it comes as a recommendation from the Maks. It's called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and it's written from the perspective of a dog... doesn't that sound wonderful?? When I get to it, I'll let you know what I think... but let's not kid ourselves, its going to be awesome :)
    Love you,
    Bits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Art of Racing in the Rain and recommend it also. I just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. I give it 5-stars. It is a National Book Award Finalist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It erased my first comment, so here's my abbreviated list (make a Google spreadsheet!):
    - Homer's Odyssey (about a cat, not that other guy)
    - The Shack
    - "7" (Jen Hatmaker)
    - Trusting God (Jerry Bridges)
    - The Fault in Our Stars
    - The Fountainhead

    I'm sure there are plenty of others if you need more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some fun Nonfiction/memoir books:
    -Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
    -The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker
    -Is everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
    -Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson (probably the funniest book I've ever read)

    Here are some "I feel like thinking deep thoughts and nerding out on literary motifs" books:
    -Tinkers by Paul Harding
    -Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer
    -The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    -Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bits, Brinn, Kat, and Mom! I can't wait to read some of these!!

    ReplyDelete